Saturday, February 8, 2020

The Prophet- Kahlil Gibran

After reading "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran, I felt as if it was a book that serves a teaching for various events in one's life. When I first read the books, it was quite difficult to understand, however; I feel as if it is the kind of book that has to be read more than once. The more I read the passages, the the more I understood the words. Image result for the prophet animation
The book has some sort of a magical component, and each and every line serve a purpose. They are words that everyone regardless of gender, sexuality, or religion can take and apply to their lives. When I read the passage on LOVE, it changed my perspective on my views of love.
         "When Love beckons you, follow him
        Though his ways are hard and steep
         And when his wings enfold you yield to him,
         Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you.
        And when he speaks to you believe in him,
        Though his voice may shatter your dreams as the north wind lays waste the garden. 

This passage evokes the realization that I am afraid to love, and that I have to put myself out there. I've always had a childish view on love, believing that its all rainbows and unicorns, when true love isn't perfect. Vulnerability is scary, but it is needed, one can't simply seek only the pleasure and fun of love. Love isn't something that I can choose, but rather finds me and direct the course. Instead of being afraid to love, we should be thankful that we are able to love. I have to approach love bravely, and not shy away from it even though it may hurt, it is a gift to be able to love and be loved. 

Another passage that spoke to me was on CHILDREN. Gibran said "your children are not your children' and it may sound insane to people, but it is more than true. Often times, parents tends to choose what their children and can not do, and yes; it is because parents only want the best for us. However, your children belong to life itself. 

You may give them your love but not your thoughts, 
For they have their own thoughts.


You may house their bodies but not their souls,


For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, 

This passage reminds of a lot of people. I am thankful that my parents allow me to choose my own career path, however, I am aware that it isn't the case for many others. When I was younger, my parents wouldn't let me dye my hair fun colors or approve of my alternative liking for fashion. As time passed, they soon let me choose things for myself, while still looking out for me so that I wouldn't do irrational behaviors. Parenting can be tricky, there is a line In which you have to offer them freedom, but not too much so that they are still obedient. This passage shows the importance of recognizing that your children have a life of their own, and you cannot choose tomorrow for them, it isn't a place you can reach, not even in your dreams. It is a parent's job to care for them, while letting them discover what life has to be offer. 





This book overall has opened my eyes on how I view many stages in life. Although I am still young, my thought on children, love, marriage has shifted. Joy and sorrow, and how I view friendships and even death and life seems to become more meaningful and deeper than I originally thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment